However, no device is immune to natural wear and tear, breakdowns due to mechanical damage or operation in corrosive conditions, so sometimes you need to repair the magnetic lock.
The magnetic lock is usually understood as an electromagnetic locking device, which is widely used in access control systems. However, there are also mortise magnetic latch locks and sanitary models used to lock interior doors in the closed position. Due to their quiet operation, they are called silent by an emergency locksmith in Richmond. Let’s consider the repair procedure for magnetic locks of both modifications.
Repair of magnetic locks for interior doors
The main reasons for magnetic lock failures are the initial low quality of the mechanism and unprofessional installation.
In the first case, the repair will postpone the final failure for a while, but more often it does not solve the problem, and full replacement of the lock is required. If the malfunctioning of the locking device is caused by a failed installation, the mechanism’s functions can be tried to be restored.
To fix the magnetic lock of an interior door, it is necessary:
- Unscrew the decorative overlays, handles (if necessary) and remove the locking mechanism.
- Open the lock case and check it for the integrity of parts, if possible replace the damaged elements.
- Inspect the mechanism for a slipped springs, if necessary, reinstall everything in its place.
Sometimes amateur locksmiths screw the elements of magnetic locks to the door with the self-tapping screws of a greater length than it is necessary. In this case, the fasteners can create obstacles to the normal operation of the locking mechanism. To fix this, it is enough to replace the long self-tapping screws with shorter ones.
To avoid problems with magnetic locks, you should choose high quality models from well known manufacturers for interior and sanitary doors, as well as have them installed by professional, experienced craftsmen.
Repair of electronically controlled magnetic locks
Although the electromagnetic lock is not capable of jamming all of a sudden, it can be failed due to electronic malfunctioning.
The advantage and disadvantage of this device is that in case of power cut the magnetic plates get unlocked and the door opens.
In the case of incorrect operation of the electromagnetic lock, its repair consists of finding the cause of failure. In this case, with the help of special analyzers, each electronic element of the device is tested. If it turns out that the technical condition of the lock is satisfactory, check the auxiliary nodes, directly connected with the locking element: intercom control unit, reader of electronic keys and so on.
The main causes of malfunctioning of electronic magnetic locks:
- unprofessional installation – displacement of the plates of the lock relative to each other, incomplete closure due to the installation of one of the plates on a deformed surface and other violations of the mounting order;
- mechanical damage – in this case, it may damage not only the lock itself but also its electrical wiring;
- malfunction of the magnet – can be both a primary problem and a sign of malfunction of the controller;
- failure of adapter – as a consequence the lock can no longer receive the power necessary for its work;
- electric power failure is a serious problem that may cause secondary damage to the electromagnetic lock. After fixing the failure, connect the device to the network is allowed only after its complete diagnostics.
To eliminate these and other malfunctions of electromagnetic locking devices, it is recommended to involve competent craftsmen. As a rule, this is done by representatives of the same organization that performed the installation of the equipment.